Location awareness is essential. In outdoor situations, GPS easily provides this location information. In indoor situations however, a reliable GPS signal is not likely to be available, thus requiring the user to manually enter position information for collected data points, which is time consuming and limits the accuracy of the transmitter map.
To provide indoor tracking capabilities for Flying Squirrel, NRL developed a GOTS inertial measurement sensor called Caribou that uses inertial, magnetic and barometric sensors to provide position information in the absence of a GPS signal. Caribou integrates seamlessly with Flying Squirrel, requiring the operator to simply clip the unit to their belt, plug in a USB cable, and pick a starting location.
- Inertial, magnetic, and barometric sensors for indoor tracking
- Ruggedized enclosure – 3″ x 1.25″ x 2.5″
- Tilt compensated compass USB powered, no need for batteries
- Easily mounts to an operator’s belt
- Sensor data is transferred to Flying Squirrel via USB
- Blueprint overlay into Flying Squirrel